Pilot Energy adds multi-billion barrel potential

Published at Oct 21, 2015, in Energy

Pilot Energy (ASX:PGY) has added upward of 3.5 billion barrels of oil to the menu as it attempts to find a farm-in partner for a key WA offshore permit.

The ASX-listed oil and gas player told its shareholders yesterday that it had received numbers back from independent assessors Gaffney, Cline & Associates about the oil potential of its deepwater WA-507-P permit.

Running the rule over three key leads in the permit, GCA came back with a high case of just over 3.5Bbbls, a low case of 604MMbbls, and a best case of just under 1.6Bbbls of oil.

It put the geologic chance of success at between 16-18%.

Resource estimate from Gaffney, Cline, & Associates covering WA-507-P

Of the three leads, the Dalia updip proved to be the most prospective with a best case of 764MMbbls.

While the numbers are very early stage for PGY, they do represent a starting point as it attempts to lure a larger feed-in partner to the party.

‘GCA’s findings clearly confirm the potential for the very large and previously quantified exploration leads within WA-507-P to be oil-bearing,’ managing director Iain Smith said.

‘We look forward to progressing our geological understanding of the permit in order to further de-risk the exploration leads, as we work towards attracting a suitable industry partner to fund the future exploration program.’

Historically the north west shelf has been more gas prone than oil-bearing, but the GCA estimate gives PGY and potential farm-in partners food for thought.

GCA has estimated the permit to have a 30% probability of oil against a 70% probability for gas meaning gas is still the most likely play, but the presence of oil would be intriguing to the like of Eni and Statoil who are exploring in the area.

The news effectively doubled the share price of the microcap, up 100% to 0.2c approaching late trade.

About Pilot Energy (ASX:PGY)

WA-507-P is one of three plays Pilot Energy has on its plate since it disputed a legal dispute in Alaska brought about from operations from its predecessor, Rampart Energy.

It has since had a name change and changed focus.

In addition to the deepwater block, it also has skin in the shallow water game, looking at WA-503-P.

Finally, it has a 30% stake in Perth Basin assets held in joint venture with experienced Perth Basin operator Empire Oil & Gas.

Its Perth Basin play is to prove up a gas resource it can sell into a domestic market which could lose a fair chunk of supply in 2020 when domestic gas reservation requirements from the North West Shelf LNG suppliers lapses.

View Our Investment Portfolios



S3 Consortium Pty Ltd (CAR No.433913) is a corporate authorised representative of LeMessurier Securities Pty Ltd (AFSL No. 296877). The information contained in this article is general information only. Any advice is general advice only. Neither your personal objectives, financial situation nor needs have been taken into consideration. Accordingly you should consider how appropriate the advice (if any) is to those objectives, financial situation and needs, before acting on the advice.

Conflict of Interest Notice

S3 Consortium Pty Ltd does and seeks to do business with companies featured in its articles. As a result, investors should be aware that the Firm may have a conflict of interest that could affect the objectivity of this article. Investors should consider this article as only a single factor in making any investment decision. The publishers of this article also wish to disclose that they may hold this stock in their portfolios and that any decision to purchase this stock should be done so after the purchaser has made their own inquires as to the validity of any information in this article.

Publishers Notice

The information contained in this article is current at the finalised date. The information contained in this article is based on sources reasonably considered to be reliable by S3 Consortium Pty Ltd, and available in the public domain. No “insider information” is ever sourced, disclosed or used by S3 Consortium.

Australian ASX Small Cap stocks | Why Finfeed.com is Australia’s leading small cap publication

Founded seven years ago, Finfeed.com is Australia’s leading and longest standing website for investor and finance news, education and expert opinion.

Published by StocksDigital, Finfeed was created to report daily on the comings and goings of ASX listed stocks in the small cap market.

As the first digital publication dedicated specifically to this space, Finfeed soon became the most trusted publication in the market, quickly garnering over two million page views – a number that continues to rise.

Finfeed.com provides its readers with informative articles that tackle the latest in market moving #ASX small cap news, plus exclusive content you won’t find anywhere else. It is aimed at those with an interest in investing, market education, company performance, start-ups and much more.

Finfeed.com is the only media organisation operating under the strength of a Financial Services License and is backed by leading journalists and analysts all with brands of their own.

The website aims to inform, educate and entertain with content that drills down into the heart of financial matters.

Finfeed is a leading source of investor and market information, with everything investors need to know about how to invest written in a way that anyone can understand. 

Over the years, the website has expanded beyond exclusively reporting on small caps, to profile Australia’s leading ASX listed small, mid and large caps as well as some of the country’s most successful CEOs and business leaders to find out what makes them tick.

Every day you will find fresh content covering:

Fast Facts

Over 4,000 articles published

Over 2.3 Million Page Views and counting

Over 10,000 followers on social media

Subscriber list growing by 2% monthly

Thanks for subscribing!